Below are a number of links to other websites together with a brief description of the purpose of the organisation.
- Locating a school
- Find the schools in Surrey nearest to your address
- Search all schools in Surrey
- Alliance for Inclusive Education - Campaigns for all disabled learners to have the right to access and be supported in mainstream education. Call 020 7737 6030.
Coram Children's Legal Centre (formerly the Children's Legal Centre) - Provides free legal information, advice and representation to children, young people, their families, carers and professionals - 08088 020 008 (free for mobiles as well as landlines). They also have a web chat . . .
- IPSEA - Provides free legally based advice to families who have children with special educational needs. All advice is given by trained volunteers. General Advice Line: 0800 018 4016 // Tribunal Help Line: 0845 602 9579
- Surrey School Admissions - Surrey County Council web page.
DISABILITY - GENERAL
- Children with special educational needs - Direct Gov web page.
- Contact A Family - Information for parents from the only the only UK-wide charity providing advice, information and support to the parents of all disabled children. Helpline: 0808 808 3555.
Council for Disabled Children (CDC) - Information for parents from the umbrella body for the disabled children’s sector in England. 0207 843 1900..
- Equality Advisory Support Service - This national service is aimed at individuals who need more expert advice and support on discrimination than advice agencies and other local organisations can provide. (Please note this replaced the Equality and Human Rights Commission Helpline in October 2012) - 0800 444 205.
- Help if you have a disabled child - DirectGov web page.
- Surrey Children's Disability Register - Registration is voluntary and helps Surrey CC to plan services. The register also forms the basis of a mailing list to inform and consult children/young people and parents/ carers about services, changes to welfare benefits, playgroups, holiday schemes, etc. 03456 009 009.
DISABILITY - SPECIFIC CONDITIONS
- ABAPSTAS - The Association of Blind and Partially Sighted Teachers and Students.
- ADDISS - The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service. Provides people-friendly information and resources about ADHD to anyone who needs assistance - parents, sufferers, teachers or health professionals. Helpline: 020 8952 2800.
- AFASIC England - provides information, help and advice to families of children with speech and language impairments and is a membership organisation. they have a help line which can be phoned or emailed
Contact them on:
0300 666 9410
- Afasic also run regualar speech and language drop ins in London on the first Tuesday of the month. See details at: https://www.sendadvicesurrey.org.uk/content-centre/item/one?help%5fkey=article&item%5fid=5344377
www.autismlinks.co.uk Living with autism isn’t easy, but finding out all about it should be. Some estimate that 1 in 100 people have autism. Others say it’s more like 1 in 88. Whatever the real figures, the good news is that there’s lots of support and advice out there to help you make sense of the world of autism. Charities, support groups, and specialist service providers, are all ready to share advice and experience whenever you need it. Autismlinks.co.uk is dedicated to making those helpful and sometimes vital links, it covers who to talk to, where to go and contains lots of helpful advice all in one place.
- Challenging Behaviour Foundation - Support for families caring for children and adults with severe learning disabilities and challenging behaviour. General Enquiries:01634 838739 // Family Support Line: 0845 602 7885.
- Downs Syndrome Association - Providing information and support on all aspects of living with Down's Syndrome to all who need it.
- Dyspraxia Foundation Surrey - Supporting children, families and adults with dyspraxia. 01372 702984.
- Epilepsy Action - helpline; local support groups; Epilepsy Today magazine . . . etc. Helpline: 0808 800 5050 or email@example.com
- Mencap - Supports parents, carers and people with a learning disability to lead a full and valued life. Their website has information sheets and other resources. 020 7454 0454.
- Movement Matters - the UK umbrella organisation representing the major national groups concerned with children and adults with coordination difficulties, a condition called Developmental Coordination Disorder (or DCD) and sometimes referred to as ‘dyspraxia’.
- National Autistic Society - Surrey Branch - Supports families involved in the care of children and adults with ASDs in Surrey. 07423 435413.
- National Autistic Society - Helpline: 0808-800-4104 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scope - A national disability organisation whose focus is people with cerebral palsy.
- South East Surrey Dyslexia Association - Aims to increase dyslexia awareness with practical advice for parents, teachers and classroom assistants.
- Surrey Association for Visual Impairment - Provides a full range of services, aids and equipment for blind and partially sighted people resident in Surrey .
- www.adders.org - Aims to promote awareness of Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and to provide information and as much free practical help as possible to sufferers, both adults and children, and their families.
- The Contact a Family website gives comprehensive links to voluntary organisations by type of condition.
- DELTA - Deaf Education through Listening and Talking - A national charity supporting deaf children, their families and practitioners who wish to follow and auditory oral route, from birth, through education and beyond.
- NDCS - National Deaf Children's Service The National Deaf Children's Society is the leading charity dedicated to creating a world without barriers for deaf children and young people.
- SENSE - Provides advice and information as well as specialist services to deafblind people, their families, carers and the professionals who work with them . . .
- Action on Hearing Loss - The new name for RNID - Advice on a range of issues including equipment, British Sign Language, employment, specialist care and support . . . etc
HEALTH AND WELLBEING
- Advice for parents on bullying - Surrrey County Council web page.
- Carers UK - Information and advice on all aspects of caring. CarersLine is a free advice line for carers staffed by welfare rights, community care and benefits experts.
- Childline - Free and confidential helpline for children and young adults in the UK - 0800 1111.
- How to exercise if you are in a wheelchair - US web page.
- Surrey Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) - web page for parents and carers
- Surrey Young Carers Project - Offers free impartial information and support to young carers.
- Drug and alcohol misuse - Surrey County Council web page.
- Charlotte's Tandems - Offers free tandem hire to families of young people with special needs and/or disabilities
- Disability Challengers- Provides essential leisure, play and learning experiences for young people with any kind of physical, learning or emotional impairment.
- English Federation for Disability Sport - The national body responsible for developing sport for disabled people in England.
- Freewheelers Theatre Company - Brings together disabled and non-disabled actors and supporters, production teams and the local community to create innovative work (Leatherhead).
- Benefit Enquiries - . For general advice on benefits (including disability benefits)
- Citizens Advice Bureaux- Free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.
- Family Fund Trust - The UK’s largest provider of grants to low-income families raising disabled and seriously ill children and young people - 08449 744 099 - email@example.com
- Financial advice and benefits - Surrey County Council web page covering the range of benefits available.
- Family Voice Surrey - The local forum for parents and carers of children with SEN and disabilities in Surrey - part of the National Network of Parent Carer Forums.
PARENTING / FAMILY SUPPORT
- Face 2 Face - A one-to-one befriending service for parents of disabled children - volunteer befrienders are all parents of disabled children who can offer emotional and practical support . .
- professional, non-judgmental support and advice for all the family. 24 hour helpline, website, message boards, email service, live chat and parenting/relationship support groups – 365 days a year.
- Home Start Surrey - Matches families with volunteers, who have parenting experience themselves, and who visit for a couple of hours a week to give emotional and practical help.
- SIBS - Sibs is the only UK charity representing the needs of siblings of disabled people.
- Surrey Care Trust - Surrey Care Trust provides learning, training and mentoring to support young people and adults in improving their chances in life.
- Surrey Family Information Service (Part of Surrey County Council) - Information, advice and assistance to parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25 years, who are disabled or have special needs - from information on choosing school and early education, to advice about work life balance and support available to families.
- Surrey Family Mediation Service - Specialist service in Family Mediation, Child Consultation and Child Counselling in and around Surrey.
- Surrey Nurturing Links- A Surrey based charity offering a range of trainings and services to support children, families and the professionals that work with them.
- Guildford Action - Guildford Action is an independent registered charity, which has been working within the local community for over 30 years helping Individuals experiencing homelessness as well as isolated families.
- Surrey Young Carers - Part of Action for Carers.
Report a problem. Our website is growing and occasionally we have a dead link or a page which does not open or does not work properly. Please help us by reporting faults you find. Please copy the address line from your browser and paste it into an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.